Saturday, May 20, 2017

"Breaking Anne" Anne with an E review

I am sorry if my grammar is not perfect
This touch screen computer is not easy to work with.


Breaking Anne: Anne with an E review
I saw the first episode. The credits were amazing, the acting and  visuals were excellent.  There wasn't a flawed performance. It fails due to the writing and editing and good pilot syndrome. Its when
a pilot is amazing but the other episodes get worse and worse. The show never lives up to that first episode.
I love Anne of Green Gables and I love Jane Eye but this mashup only works in the first episode. Off the wall adoptions can work but it doesn't.
 I hate being mean to Moira  Walley-Beckett are a few moments of brilliance in the first episode
 and a few in episode two such as the Bible scene or when Anne is called a daughter. The darkness and removal of humor worked well for Anne's life before Green Gables but not so much afterword.
While the removal of the joy was for realism it actually makes the show soapy in a bad way.  
Anne of Green Gables the novel is full of tragedy, joy and sometimes laughter.
Anne With an E lacks humor and subtle feminism Becket ignores what that made Anne magical. Sadly it gets worse and more ridiculous with each episode. The importance of education for women is carefully woven in the books.    
Episode four is the worst written so far.       
The fire rescue was poorly done over the top and stupid.  
I think four will be my last episode I have suffered enough like poor Anne.
It is not a show I can enjoy with my children.
the show should be pg14. I know of one teacher who put it on and quickly turned it off. The children who were 9 and ten hated it.  The children were not traumatized they just hated it and decided with the teacher it was better to read the book.
I wouldn't mind this redone with the same cast but different writing staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment