Saturday, August 29, 2020

Why I Quit Acting: My big regret

   Everyone has things they regret.  What is your biggest regret?  I do not regret quitting acting. What a lot of people don't know about me is that I once wanted to be a stage actress and a writer.  I did become a published writer. I got my first professional acting gig when I was 21 turning 22.  I'm talking about this because I honestly feel bad about my first and only acting job.  No one knows this about me except myself and my family.    I really needed the money, and loved meeting other working actors. Most of the cast were very kind.  I never knew what I was in for when I showed up. I was accepted on the spot.  I was nice to everyone but hated the production and asked a lot of questions.  I found it offensive, poorly written, and historically incorrect and was given a part I had no right to play but I still performed until the end of the season.  There was also sexual harassment that went on in that production with one of the leads which he directed at several of my coworkers.   He would even say uncomfortable things to me though I wasn't his 'target' and even tried to bring strippers to a work party.    I realized that I wasn't good enough for the off-broadway musical productions I really wanted to be in that I could only get jobs that were like this.  The Theater acting had lost any joy for me.   One day I might want to return to musical theater, but take the advice of my drama teacher who told us there were more jobs in the crew.  As a subtly disabled woman from the USA..  I have no problem with people who are without disabilities who portray people like me on the screen.  I just don't feel taking those types of roles are right for me.   I am not judging what other actors choose to do.  

2 comments: